Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What is action research and how can it be implemented?



I must admit that I was a bit overwhelmed by the thought of this research class.  I think the word research panics most people, myself included.  I have spent some time researching what action research is and I perceive action research to be identifying a problem, finding research to attempt to solve the problem, applying the research, and scrutinizing your results and making changes in practices .  I gleaned most of the information I learned from Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher by Nancy Fitchtman Dana.  By definition action research "refers to the process of a principal engaging in systematic, intentional study of his/her own practice and taking action for change based on what he/she learns as a result of the inquiry” (Dana, 2009).   Through action research, both teachers and administrators gain deeper insight into their practices and their role in school improvement efforts (Dana, 2009).  Action research is a way for teachers and administrators to collaborate and find ways to improve student achievement and overall school climate.  The wonderful thing about action research is that it is versatile enough to be used on the classroom level as well as the district level.  In the classrooms setting, it can be used to find ways to improve student achievement, and on the district level it can be used for the development of standards and programs for the whole district.  Action research is a simple tool that can be used to accomplish great things in schools and take peer collaboration to a new level.

1 comment:

  1. I know I was scared by the thought of a research class!! I agree that action research can be used at many different levels from classroom to district. Looking forward to taking this journey with you as we develop our action research projects!!

    ReplyDelete